Multiple Rapid Boards for a project

Sam Minnee February 10, 2013

I have a tricky question about how to set up Rapid Boards.

Our context is that we're a software development company working with a number of clients. Each of our Scrum teams has several clients that they work with. The Scrum team's backlog therefore includes tickets from a number of projects, each of which relates to a single client.

Setting up a Rapid Board to represent this is fairly straightforward. However, we also want to have a single-client view where that client can log on and only see their tickets. How do we do this?

* Do we give them a separate Rapid Board? If that's the case, how to we keep the cards selected for the Sprint in-sync?

* Or is it possible to give the client access to the Scrum team's multi-project Rapid Board, and somehow hide the cards from other clients? If so, how do we configure this?

Historically, we have used the Classic Greenhopper planning view, filling out common values for Fix Version across projects, and then configuring the Rapid Board to use Fix Versions for swimlanes. It was a bit clumsy, but it was workable. However, I can see that you're deprecating the Classic views, and so I want to migrate away from them if we can.

Thanks,

Sam

2 answers

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2013

Hi Sam,

For the benefit of the wider community I thought I would share the links regarding the managing of projects in JIRA OnDemand for external users : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Managing+project+visibility

Through applying the external and internal user permissions to a project this will flow through to any board that is created that incorporates those projects.

Thanks,

Paul

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2013

Hey there, Sam.

The new Rapid Board has the functionality of Quick Filter that allows you to only show selected issues based on the JQL:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Quick+Filters

Does it cater to your requirement or are you looking at something which is much more specific?

Warm regards,

Danial

The problem with this is that I don't want a user from one client to have the *ability* to see the cards from the other client. It's a security lock-down issue.

Hrm, it seems as though you *can* set up a Rapid Board and grant access to it to people who don't have access to all the tickets on it. In that case, the client only sees a sub-set of the tickets, as expected.

So it seems I can answer my own question. Will this work?

* Create projects Client1, Client2, Client3

* Create a rapid board, ScrumTeam, including all the tickets from Client1, Client2, Client3

* Give my scrum team access to all three projects

* Give each of my clients access to only their project

Suggest an answer