Moving data to Jira on local server

Stefan Viveen October 7, 2012

Dear Sirs,

I'm migrating from Jira OnDemand to a server installed version (v5.1.6#785, currently as free trial), and am trying to do so by creating a backup in OnDemand (Administration - Issues - Import & Export - Backup manager - Create Backup), download the zip-file, and place it in folder C: Program Files Atlassian Application Data JIRA import. Then I import it in the server version (Administration - System - Import & Export: Restore System. It says that the task was submitted, and then error message shows: The xml data you are trying to import seems to be from a newer version of JIRA. This will not work.. But my version on the server is the newest.

Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.

4 answers

0 votes
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2012

Hey Stefan,

Please note how Atlassian does the pairing of versions for JIRA:

"Each JIRA OnDemand milestone version is paired with a production version of downloadable JIRA for migration compatibility purposes. For example, JIRA 5.2m1 is paired with 5.1.1, JIRA 5.2m2 is paired with 5.1.2, JIRA 5.2m3 is paired with 5.1.3, and so on. You must install the correct version of downloadable JIRA, otherwise you will not be able to import your JIRA OnDemand data correctly."

You can see all information you need here, and if you need specific assistance, raising a support ticket at SAC would be the best thing to do.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

Hi, raise a ticket with Atlassian Support to get some help here. OnDemand is always newer than the download version. It keeps changing so will never catch up. That's just how it is. Get support to help you find a solution.

0 votes
Stefan Viveen October 7, 2012

Yes that's what I've found on the Internet. So I waited for a new release of the download version, which came available early October. But still no luck.... I understand how the Download version could be behind on OnDemand, but since it's still doing the same it now seems that Download is like two versions behind?

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

OnDemand tends to be very new, released before new Download versions. What are the actual versions of your OnDemand vs Download. It may be the error is correct, and you just can't restore that yet. Its a bit of a quandry for those wanting to export from OnDemand, I'd be interested in the Atlassian comment on this.

Suggest an answer