More than one sprint per rapid board and move between/add to rapid board

Monica Schrager May 31, 2012

- I want to have more than one sprint per rapid board, but after adding the first sprint the sprint marker button to create a new sprint is disabled.

- What if I want to add to or move from one sprint to the other, after I have created one or more rapid boards. I shouldn't have to use the sprint marker

- I have tried creating two rapid boards and want to filter out the contents of one to only show a subset of items that are in my project. How can I do this.

3 answers

1 vote
Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2013

Hi Monica,

You absolutely can have multiple sprints running at once, you just cannot start a new Sprint on a board that contains issues that are already in a Sprint (as you note).

The key is that the issues that are selected by the filter for the rapid board must not select issues that are already in a Sprint. So for example, a Rapid Board that selected only issues in project X would be completely independent of a Rapid Board that selected project Y. You could achieve the same with Rapid Boards that selected different components from the same project, different labels or any of a variety of other combinations (components are the best option because sub tasks will automatically inherit the component of their parent as long as the project is enabled for GreenHopper in the global GreenHopper configuration).

If you want to have two teams drawing from the same backlog you could potentially use the following approach:

• Have one 'Planning' Rapid Board that selects all of the issues you wish to work (for example the JQL might be "project = x"). Use this board to order the backlog then set the component of each of the issues for Team A or Team B
  • Have two other 'Work' Rapid Boards, one for each team. These would filter based on the component (for example "project = x and component = TeamA" and "project = x and component = TeamB"). You can then create sprints and start them for each team
  • As a bonus the 'Planning' Rapid Board will automatically show the sprints that are started on the two 'sub boards' in its work mode

In GreenHopper 6.0.3 you could also use the new parallel sprints labs feature to have the sprints for both teams on the one board. Unfortunately this will make the velocity chart less usable because velocity is heavily based on the estimations of an individual team. We would like to improve this approach in the future which is why the feature is in labs.

I hope it helps you!

0 votes
Monica Schrager May 31, 2012

Thansk Renjith. If the board supports only one sprint how would we manage multiple teams and adding items to the sprint at different times (with different sprint teams having their sprint planning meetings on different days)?

You reference the filters, but what may be an example of how to use this filter, by team? What would the attribute be that can differentiate that: Target release/version perhaps?

Monica Schrager June 17, 2012

I heard from Greenhopper and the way to do this is with multiple rapid boards for the same project. Also you can add to an existing sprint by dragging from the Plan state into the existing sprint indicator at the top.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2012

- Currently the Rapidboard supports only a single sprint.

- Didnt understand the question

- Setup the filter

Suggest an answer