Method failed: (/rest/api/2/issue) with code: 400 when creating an Issue

Indira Iyer August 2, 2017

I have been successfully querying projects and issues from JIRA. but i get an error when i try to create an Issue. Below is the data that i am trying to post to rest/api/2/issue endpoint

"{\"fields\":{\"description\":\"test\",\"issuetype\":{\"name\":\"Bug\"},\"project\":{\"key\":\"TSTB\"},\"summary\":\"this is a test\"}}"

Can anyone help identify what's wrong with the above syntax?

3 answers

1 vote
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2017

Hi Indira

Just to reassure you, I had been querying using the API for ages, then really struggled with my first issue creation.

Your JSON looks fine, so I don't think that that's the problem. Are there any required (mandatory) fields that you don't have in your JSON? This could result in an error.

Are you certain that you have an issue type of Bug?

Apart from the 400 code, what is the return message - it may give some indication as to what the problem is. 

What is the code and format that you're using in your Post?

Warren

Indira Iyer August 4, 2017

Thank you Warren! Looks like the Priority field was mandatory. Once I set that, I was able to create the issue successfully.

Indira

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2017

Your endpoint and data look fine to me. 

One quick check (although I'd expect a different error) - can you manually create the issue in the UI with the same data? 

Could you give us the line of code making the call, and the full error?

0 votes
Indira Iyer August 4, 2017

Priority was a Mandatory field which had to be set in the JSON.

Suggest an answer