Massive error when I try to add a workflow validator to a transition

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

I had a recurring problem where users were getting obtuse errors when trying to transition issues. The core problem was that the workflow transition required a comment but they weren't providing one. The resulting error message didn't make this clear. I was enforcing the required comment by adding the Comment Required Validator to the workflow. This worked fine with Jira 4.4.3. After I upgraded to 5.1.8 I started getting popup errors.

Steps to reproduce:

1. I created a draft of the workflow and opened the specific transition.
  2. I deleted the validator from the transition.
  3. I clicked Add a new validator to check the input parameters before this transition is executed.
  4. I selected Comment Required Validator and clicked Add.
  5. Result: I got a screen prompting me to add Parameters To Validator. No errors yet.
  6. I clicked Add and got an error screen. The URL of the screen was [http://server.company.com/secure/admin/workflows/AddWorkflowTransitionValidatorParams.jspa].

The error screen displays:

Cause:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find expected argument 'errorMessage' in parameters.

Stack Trace: hide

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find expected argument 'errorMessage' in parameters.

The error message in the logfile is: 2012-11-26 18:29:56,594 http-8080-57 ERROR 500ErrorPage.jsp Exception caught in 500 page Cannot find expected argument 'errorMessage' in parameters. java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find expected argument 'errorMessage' in parameters.

This is especially frustrating because the error seems to be upstream of the actual problem, so I can't see the errorMessage that's missing and use that to debug the core problem.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

Damn and blast. No sooner did I post my question than I found my answer. I forgot to upgrade the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions plugin when I upgraded Jira. Upgrading to v2.5.4 solved my problem. D'oh!

Suggest an answer