Jira database query on issues and board

lavanya yenishetti May 22, 2017

Hi,

I need to write a query that provides a Jira board name, columns in that board and all the issues associated with a board.  AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW  stores the Board name, AO_60DB71_COLUMN table provides the list of columns in a board and the Jira issues table provides the issues list. I'm not finding a relation between board and issue. is there a direct relation between these tables? if not what is the work around to pull this info from jira database.

Note: looking for a database query not JQL.

2 answers

0 votes
Drickus Annandale June 3, 2018

Hi Nic, Iavanya. I want to achieve the same thing. Please find the issue I logged below. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Link-Jira-Issue-to-Kanban-boards-via-SQL-Database/qaq-p/809487#M35715

What would your suggestion be to achieve this? Currently we do direct sql queries from the jira database once a day using an ETL process and then create a Dimensional Model for Reporting and Dashboarding. The jira information are integrated with other sources as well. 

Kind Regards, Drickus 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2018

Your best option is to throw the SQL queries away as they're going to be different for every board, and change all the time.  Use the REST API instead.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

The relationship between a board and an issue is defined by

1. The JQL used on the board

2. The coded settings for the board

Your database query is, quite simply put, going to be horrid to construct and valid only once.  You'll have to replicate the JQL in SQL (they are very different things) and then apply board settings too.

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT try this with SQL.

Could you explain what you are trying to achieve instead?  There's going to be a much better way to do it than SQL.

Suggest an answer