JQL: check if issue's epic meets condition

Arthur June 16, 2013

I want to set up a custom query for Card Colours in Rapid Boards on GreenHopper. I'd like to implement the following logic:

If epic (that a story is linked to) is of certain state (say, OPEN), assign colour to this story. So, I want to indirectly check the state of another (linked) issue (epic) to determine the colour of this issue (story).

I'm talking about an epic as an issue type here, one that can be used not only in Scrum Board, but also on Kanban Board.

Can this be done using JQL?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Curry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2013

Looks like there is an outstanding feature request for this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25640

Afraid I don't see a possibility to do this outside of the above feature request

joehardin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2020

Ancient thread, but for people reading this now: that feature request referenced above doesn't correlate to the poster's question since epic relationships are a different sort of "link type"

1 vote
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hi Arthur,

The Script Runner issueFunction add-on has some neat functionality you could leverage for this. I've written up how we use it for highlighting dependencies in Using the Epic Workflow in GreenHopper.

From your description you may want to use something similar to:

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf(“issuetype = Epic and status = Open")

Give that a try and let me know if it solves your problem.

Thanks Arthur,
Nicholas Muldoon

Arthur July 16, 2013

Hi Nicholas, this sounds very promissing. Can it be used with JIRA ondemand though?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2013

Unfortunately not.

Suggest an answer