JIRA's "Impediment" Flag vs a Custom "Impeded" Status

Deleted user May 14, 2013

Hello,

My team will soon start using JIRA and Greenhopper for Agile Scrum.

I know that JIRA allows you to Flag a Sub-Task as an impediment. This causes a "!" icon to show up next to the issue when you look at the Sprint in Greenhopper.

My question is this: From your experience, does this impediment flag work better or would you suggest that I create a custom status for the sub-task called "Impeded" and update the sub-task's workflow to move an In Progress issue to Impeded and back. In this latter case, I will also create a custom column in Greenhopper called "Impeded" and map the Impeded status to this column.

What are the pros and cons of either approach? From your experience, does one approach work better than the other from a visual and reporting perspetive?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

You might not want ot use the impendiment feature. It's part of the obsolete part of GreenHopper. You will not find that fucntionality in the Rapid boards.

Deleted user May 14, 2013

Thank you for the answer. How do I "accept" it and give you the Karma?

Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2013

What Timothy said, plus when you have a separate status, you'll be sure not to mess with your statistics for In Progress.

1 vote
Andrew Morin July 16, 2013

just curious. This is a new feature "flagging" that by default in scrum gives the issue an impediment status. Reallty just starting to check it out. We have been using a custom workflow with the "Blocked" state. I like these tools a lot and manage 7 Atlassian apps behind the firewall starting with JIRA in 2009. I can't even count the work arounds we came up with just to see the functionality a year or two later..if I had any hair to pull out left....

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+6.2.4+Release+Notes#GreenHopper6.2.4ReleaseNotes-Flaggedissuesnowshownonwallboard

Anyway I thought I would post this as this may be the "impediment" jhabib was referring to and this is a new feature not the one that used to be part of classic. It's configured with default settings for scrum (arghhh) but more flexible if you are using kanban.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events