JIRA doesn't create comment when using IMAP

JW23 October 2, 2013

So basically we have set up an IMAP email inbox to receive jira emails and distribute them to different mail folders with mail rules. A jira mail handler has been set up to monitor each folder and the option is to "create a new issue or add a comment". Each folder corresponds to a different pair of project and issue type. "Strip Quotes" is checked and default reporter has been added just in case. The rest is following the jira default. Also the outgoing "From" is set to use the IMAP email address.

During my testing, new jira can be created successfully. However, comments cannot when I replied to a new jira email. I found out the replied email was routed to the correct folder but somehow not processed by the mail handler. When I used the test option in mail handler, it only says the test was successful as below without mentioning what has been done or what was wrong -- it's supposed to create a comment.

1 message read from the server.
Found 1 message(s) in the imap folder.

(and that's it)

As a comparison, we used POP option before and it can create new jira and comment from reply but we have to switch to IMAP due to some IT requirements.

Did anyone experience the same issue? Please advise me.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2013

Are you referring your folder in the incoming IMAP mailbox config?

Log Email Protocol details to see what is happening, the answer will be there:

- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+email+protocol+details

0 votes
JW23 October 14, 2013

#2 issue has been resolved and it was an IMAP config issue.

#1 is still open.

IshanL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2014

@jack wang what is the IMAP config issue here? I also see this error. Thanks in advance.

Lisa Sittler January 27, 2015

I am seeing this error too and am interested in the fix.

JP Dicks September 17, 2015

Too bad he didn't post the solution. Now I'll have to open a ticket with Atlassian.

0 votes
JW23 October 12, 2013

I processed two emails respectively: one should create a new jira and the other one should add a comment to the existing jira.

1. It didn't create a new jira with this error: javax.mail.MessagingException: Unable to load BODYSTRUCTURE

2. It didn't add comment with this error: [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] IOException whilst getting message content BASE64Decoder: Error in encoded stream: needed 4 valid base64 characters but only got 2 before EOF, the 10 most recent characters were: "al\r\nX-MS-H"

Can you advise how I can troubleshoot or fix these issues?

Thanks.

-Jack

0 votes
JW23 October 4, 2013

Yes, the default account is a registered jira user with permission to add comment. In my test, I also tried a different jira user (non-default but also with permission) to reply to the jira email. Pop worked but not IMAP -- no error or anything as I mentioned earlier.

How can I investigate it? Is there any log I can turn on to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

0 votes
MarkW October 3, 2013

What is the default account you are using in your mail handler? If the person responding to the JIRA email does not have a JIRA account then it will default to the user you specified. If you set a default user, does that user have permission to add comments in that project?

0 votes
JW23 October 3, 2013

Can anyone help?

Suggest an answer