JIRA System Admin pages render painfully slowly

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

It can take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds to render any system admin pages. This is not a new development. I suspect a poor configuration somewhere. Rather than me flailing around, I would very much appreciate guidance on where to look first.

We're running JIRA v6.2.4 on Centos. Connected to a remote Postgresql database.

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

There's a few things to check:

1) When this behavior started? After an upgrade or any network change?

2) Does it help increasing the memory available for the JVM (Both JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY and JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY)?

3) Does the same problem occurs when bypassing the proxy? (Acessing Jira locally, as localhost:port)

Cheers!

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

1) It's been slow since I've been here.

2) I see no OutOfMemory errors in the logs. I would wouldn't I?

3) Yes. Proxy does not appear to be the problem.

I'm attaching a splunk output from a test I did. I turned up a bunch of the logging. First datetime below is immediately after I selected "Workflows". Second datetime is immediately after it rendered.

[root@atlassian-jira log]# date --rfc-3339='ns'
2014-05-13 16:04:34.928704410+00:00
[root@atlassian-jira log]# date --rfc-3339='ns'
2014-05-13 16:05:04.635459081+00:00

In the spreadsheet you'll see big gaps in the log entries. Between row 175 and 180, almost 16 seconds elapses. What's it doing?

Between rows 410 and 411, 4 seconds elapse.

Almost 3 seconds between 535 and 536.

In total, it took about 29 seconds before the screen rendered. Which I hope you would agree is terrible.

All guidance appreciated.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

Can't attach a file?

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

I opened a ticket with Atlassian. If I can't attach a file this will be too painful. Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

IshanL
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014

Hi @DI2E SysAdmin,

Did you resolve this?

0 votes
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2014

https and a reverse proxy

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2014

Are you using https or http?

Suggest an answer