JIRA Cloud max attachment size?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2015

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring Attachment Size

The docs say the default is "100mb" but I think it is still 10MB in fact.

Also, has anyone has any luck with exporting data for a JIRA Cloud instance with huge (>400MB) attachments? The backup takes >24 hours to be created and is at least 120GB. I thought that JIRA Cloud instances were only allowed to have 25GB of data total?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2015

Oh, they added a new 100Gb tier to the storage.  Still not sure how that could get up to 120Gb export though!

The last export I tried from a large Cloud also failed, but Atlassian support arranged a file transfer for the client after we raised a support request, so I'm not really sure if there's a good fix.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2016

Ah yes https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/atlassian-cloud-storage-policy-744721619.html which says "What will happen if I exceed my storage limit? If your Atlassian Cloud instance exceeds the storage limit, your instance will not be suspended, except in extreme circumstances, and we will not remove any data. If you exceed your storage limit by a small amount, and you're storing acceptable types of data, your applications will continue to work (large video files are an example of an unacceptable attachment data type). If you exceed the limit by a large amount, we'll email your technical contact and offer help to reduce disk usage by archiving old Confluence or JIRA application attachments." So I think unless you do something really obviously large, then as a JIRA and Confluence admin you may never actually know your Cloud instance has got too large. I suspect that is what happened in this case

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

I'd never needed to read them in that much detail! Good to know, thanks!

0 votes
Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2018

Setting just allowed us to set the max to 2GB.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2018

Yep, and that's 10-11 attachments and your 25Gb is gone, then another 30-40 and you're over the upper limit.

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2018

Yea - that would go fast. 

For others looking at this discussion - the new Cloud policy is listed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/atlassian-cloud-storage-policy-873871366.html

One challenge I see is that there is no place to view usage... I saw on another discussion that you need to reach out to Atlassian support to get that number.

Suggest an answer