Issue watchers not receiving email notifications

Rumceisz September 6, 2012

Hi All,

for each issue I added a different "watcher". I would expect the following when I add someone as an issue watcher.

1. The watcher receives an email notification that they were added as a watcher to a specific issue.
2. The watcher receives an email whenever something changes on the issue.

The watchers for the two issues above have had no email notifications sent to them. I checked with them to make sure the emails did not go into their spam folders.

The notification scheme has the All Watchers for all events!

Can you please help what is it behind?

Bets Regards,

Rumi

5 answers

0 votes
Jeffrey Gordon December 1, 2016

I've also noticed that when a user adds their first comment to an issue, JIRA adds them as a watcher but they don't get an email for that first comment.  The do, however, get emails for subsequent comments.  This is, of course, assuming your notification scheme includes "all watchers" for the "Issue Commented" event.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2016

And they have "email me on my own changes" enabled too.

0 votes
kimrvan December 3, 2012

I too am having problems with Followers not receiving email notifications in Bitbucket.

In 'Account Settings', I have checked off 'Email notifications'. And in the 'Repository' Admin, I have added a couple of emails to the 'Notifications'.

Unfortunately, neither of the email addresses receive notifications when changes are made to any of the Repository's 'Issues'.

I've checked that both of the email recipients are 'Following' the Repository, and the Bitbucket emails are not ending up in the recipient's spam folders.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

0 votes
kimrvan December 3, 2012

I'm having problems with Followers not receiving email notifications.

In 'Account Settings', I have checked off 'Email notifications'. And in the 'Repository' Admin, I have added a couple of emails to the 'Notifications'.

Unfortunately, neither of the email addresses receive notifications when changes are made to any of the Repository's 'Issues'.

I've checked that both of the email recipients are 'Following' the Repository, and the Bitbucket emails are not ending up in the recipient's spam folders.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

kimrvan December 3, 2012

I discovered that there is a sidebar on the right of the detail page for each Issue, where Followers have to click the 'watch' link that appears next to the 'Watchers' heading.

After the link is clicked, the link toggles to 'stop watching', but in the meantime any changes to the issue are emailed to those who are watching.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2012

You will not get a mail when you are added as a watcher (sce 1) but you should get mails for all changes on the issue (sce 2).

If you are not geting mails for the changes, check the notification scheme again, see if there are any error in logs etc. Also make sure they are not making the changes themselves with "notify me for my changes" turned off.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2012

1. Jira doesn't notify watchers when they are added to an issue. It's buried in the docs somewhere and there's a request to have "added as watcher" as an event somewhere, but it's not been implemented yet.

2. That sounds broken, if you've got all-watchers for all-events in your notification scheme, then they should be getting the emails from any event after they were added as watchers. Have you checked the logs? It's not the old "do not notify me on my changes" problem? Can you turn up mail logging and maybe monitor the mail queue to see if the emails are going into the queue at all?

Suggest an answer