Issue creation via email has several problems

Stephen Welsh November 18, 2012

1: The permission scheme dependencies are almost totally opaque: EXACTLY what are the permission dependencies between ALL the Browse Project , Edit ... , Create Issues etc ....

2: The Request Support form appears to work at this end but has little impact at the Atlassian end.

(I have been trying since the 15th of November, apparently unsuccessfully to use this Feature)

3: The provided mail handler Create an new issue or add a comment works as expected only intermittently.

a) Users with Create issue permission cannot.

b) The Issue Type comes up as Task, not as Issue as set in the handler config. (Project has no Task)

this occurs 50% of the time.

4: When the handler does work, the created issues -often- only appear in searches after a re-index.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2012

This isn't a targetted question making an 'answer' difficult.

#1 is a discussion point, its possible that to a new user its a bit greek but there is plenty of documentation, look at the Permission Scheme itslef, there are descriptions against each field.

#2 Your call is important to Atlassian, please wait whilke they get through their queue, you are not the only customer, but are still valued, they thank you for your understanding. Perhaps you should go direct to https://supoprt.atlassian.com log an issue about that, perhaps there is something wrong, environmentally or otherwise that is stopping your report getting through. I wonder if the question you asked was targetted?

#3 Gee that sounds non-deterministic, usually this isnt the case, you could probably ask this question alone. I wonder, those people who can't create, do they for example have identical groups to people who do, the issues, are they created by the same reporter or is the 'default' reporter making the posting, more details needed.

How are you going to manage responses to any of these points spread throughout the question. Its going to be a challenge. Specifically on this though, the default CreateOrComment handler does the job its supposed to, its entirely possible you are tripping up over some of the details as to how this should be used. Without more specific details as to what works and what doesnt, it will be hard for anyone to provide useful feedback. Have you for example, tried looking at what is happenening under the covers with Logging email protocol details, perhaps even follow https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Troubleshooting+Issue+Creation+Via+Email

#4 Sounds bad, I wonder if you have other things in there, post functions perhaps? If this is a default install with few/no plugins, then having to reindex is bad and would be the subject of a support call with Atlassian.

JIRA is awesome, but canbe complex in some areas, get onto support, go have a chocolate.

Suggest an answer