Issue creation: Inlining original e-mail in acknowledgement

Christopher Linley October 20, 2014

Our current workflow is as follows:

(1) User sends an e-mail (#1). This happens direcly from a "Report Bug" window in our software.
(2) JEMH creates an issue from #1, and also attaches #1 to the new issue as an .eml file.
(3) JEMH sends an acknowledgement e-mail to the user (#2) to say that an issue has been created (sent as the result of a custom JEMH issue created event). This acknowledgement e-mail #2 contains #1 as an .eml attachment.

Question:
Is it possible to inline #1 direcly in #2, so that #2 looks like a standard e-mail reply to #1? (If this is possible, I suppose it might involve using the Velocity/JIRA API to search for the .eml attachment and inline it)

Anyone done something like this before?

Cheers,
Chris

3 answers

0 votes
Christopher Linley October 26, 2014

Thanks, Andy.

I think we'll just include the original e-mail as an .eml attachment.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

Its possible, but I don't have a coded template for that. Effectively you will want to get the list of comments, and if empty, then the 'in reply to' will be the issue description.  Thereafter, it will be the 'last' comment made.

This output is similar to ServiceDesk notifications I think.

The JEMH TemplateSet screen exposes the 'generic' velocity context used, this includes $allComments for historical reasons.

You could get the text with something like:

#if ($!allComments.getLastComment($issue))
 #set($replyToContent = $!allComments.getLastComment($issue).getBody())
#else
 #set($replyToContent = $issue.getDescription())
#end

In reply to:
<pre>
$replyToContent
</pre>

You may not want to include attachments in the outbound notification, that can be turned off in the Event Listener Project Mapping.  There is no finer grained filtering of attachments, could be, log a feature request if needed: https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH

Currently there is no exposed method of 'loading' the .eml file in order to access the related content, which could be in HTML any way, tricky.

0 votes
Christopher Linley October 20, 2014

Or is there a way to automatically just respond to the original e-mail from JEMH (rather than relying on a custom event to send the reply)?

Suggest an answer