Is there any way in JIRA to find out which user created and/or edited a project?

Solitonman November 1, 2011

I'd like to find out who created a project in our instance of JIRA without having to go around asking each individual user with permission. Is there a database entry or a transaction table that would have information on which user created a project, edited a project, and the same for any of the other system features?

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2011

Everywhere I've worked has had a process where the request to create a project is a Jira issue in one way or another. Dieter's answer covers that, and explains what Jira does and doesn't do with a project.

If you want a simple audit solution though, https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/43203 is well worth a look...

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2011

Hi Nic,

thank's for this valuable hint since it will give me the clue how to hook in central JIRA managers. This is needed since i did this by registering my own ComponentProvider in the past but this is deprecated since 4.3

Cheers,

Dieter

0 votes
Solitonman November 1, 2011

Thanks for the ideas! :) We do have a process for creating projects, but we're still in the development stage. So we haven't tracked who has created which project. But I'll check the logs and see if I can find the info I'm looking for. Thanks again!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2011
0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2011

AFAIK the creation of a project is not logged in the database. Maybe you can see webwork actions logged in $CATALINAS_BASE/logs/access* but i have not checked this yet.

IMHO it's better to document changes in the JIRA system using JIRA issues themselves. Each request to create a project should be documented in a issue which is assigned to the JIRA-Administrator staff group. When the IT staff user creates the project he/she assigns the issue to himself and closes it after he has done her/his work.

One could imagine one project for that purpose and each action (create project/delete project/...) has it's own issue type.

That way you can track who requested the project and who created it by just looking in the change history. This process can be optimized by creating the project automatically.

One could imagine also an enhanced ProjectManager implementation that records project deletion and creation in a table but this is a very deep change in the system and i'd try to avoid this. Overwriting the ProjectManager implementation still requires some code in the ComponentProvider and this is something Atlassian has already deprecated.

Suggest an answer