Is there a way to test the exported backup file?

Hi,

I m using JIRA service, i have created backup xml from JIRA and would like to make sure that file is what i expect and is in good state, may i know if there is a way that i can create a test instance and import the backup file so that the import does not override the data?

Regards,

Winnie

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

You have answered your own question - "create a test instance and import the backup file"

The import will overwrite all the data in the test instance, but that's the whole point of a backup, it's supposed to recreate the system you backed up.  You can download and install a standalone JIRA instance with which to test this though - do the import on an empty JIRA which you then discard because it's just a backup test.

I suppose if i need to install a test instance i will need a database which i do not, is there any alternative ? 

Yes, but the JIRA downloads come with an internal file/memory based database.  It's no good for production (it will fail, catastrophically, at some point after a while of use), but good enough to run an import to test.

Ideally, you should use the same database as the system you're trying to test, but a test that you can restore exported xml into any database is mostly good enough to prove the xml file is valid.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

178 views 18 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you