Is there a way to determine time entry method?

Sean Hetherington December 30, 2012

Is there a way to tell how time entry was added to an issue? I.E. Mylin or the web interface?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2012

Yes, if you are integrating with other systems, use JIRA REST API and check whether there are any worklogs recorded.

http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#id343733

Your question also says 'web interface'. The JIRA issue view already shows a tab with the worklogs entered for that issue. What did you mean by web interface?

Sean Hetherington January 14, 2013

By web interface I mean the JIRA web interface. The APIs in JIRA allow entries to be made from countless methods, like Mylin, or just by logging into JIRA and entering a worklog entry.

What I want to determine is if a time entry was made from Mylin or if the user logged in to the JIRA web interface and created a worklog entry.

Is this possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2013

No, Jira's web-ui is just one way of getting data in and out - the core data doesn't care where it's come from, who is reading it, as long as they have permissions.

In other words, what I said before - unless you make changes in the core of Jira to add "this came from", or deliberately flag something in your mylin/REST entries, you have no way of knowing how it was entered. (Oh, and yes, you can read the logs, but they recycle, so aren't permanent records)

0 votes
Sean Hetherington December 30, 2012

This is in reference to Jira's worklogs. I want to determine if a user entered the worklog entry with the web interface or through something like Mylin.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2012

Assuming you are talking about Jira, then yes. I'm not actually sure what you mean by "time entry", but every change to a Jira issue is logged with date, time and user, as well as what changed (except comment delete or edits)

• If "time entry" is a field, or set of fields, look in the issue history.
  • If "time entry" means the Jira work log facilities, then look at the work logs.

Both of those are tabs on the issue display in the standard UI

I can't speak for Mylin - I've not really used it enough to know.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2012

There's no way of knowing how something was entered. It shouldn't really be important - what really matters is who entered what.

If you think people are doing something incorrectly because they are using a different tool, then you need to think about changing their behaviour, or your processes.

Suggest an answer