Is it possible to show the same issue in multiple swimlanes?

mcico March 6, 2013

We use a rapid borad to plan and visualize the content for certain teams in the long run. From period to period there is new planning and we would like to show which of issue we take on in the new period (i do not want to call them sprints, because they are not).

Unfortunately the top most swimlane catches an issue and the issue is not *catchable* anymore by swimlames below the first one.

Is there a way to achieve that behaviour and show an issue on multiple swimlane?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2013

Hi,

I don't think it is possible to show one issue several times in the same board. The swimlanes is just a way to sort and group the content on the board.

There is one situation though when an issue can show twice and that is if you have an issue with a sub-task, then the parent issue will be shown (greyed-out) above the subtask if the parent and subtask are in different columns, but that is a completely different thing.

If you need the issue to show in a swimlane below you will have to work on your swimlane queries more.

Rgrds,

// Svante

mcico March 7, 2013

Thanks for the explenation. It seems obvious now that this is not possible :S Since the swimlanes are a way of filtering and grouping of the underlying board filter.

We might reconsider how we structure our issues. Maybe we should use parent - subtask relationship for that as you suggested.

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2013

Glad to help!

Yes, the structuring of issues is really key here. It is usually hard to create an efficient board if not the underlying structure is good!

Please, mark the answer as accepted if you are satisfied with it!

Have a great day!

// Svante

mcico March 21, 2013

We decided to add mor structure to our ticket hierarchy, thanks for the help :)

Shashwat_Srivastava April 2, 2019

It should be allowed. For example, I have created custom fields like Developer Assignee, QA Assignee and I have configured my board JQL on Developer Assignee for Developers and QA Assignee for QA Engineers. Now I want to see the task at both Developer's swimlane as well as QA's swimlane. This will give me a better view of all the running tasks, when I am seeing with respect to a Developer's tasks or a QA Engineer's tasks.

Like # people like this
Oytun Tez February 19, 2020

This is a big pain for me as well

Like # people like this
James Scicluna May 21, 2020

Definitely a nice feature to have

Katarína Lukácsy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2020

I was facing the same problem. When two people collaborate on a single Jira ticket, we use a custom field to mark the second assignee. I wanted that one ticket to appear twice - in two swim lanes, each swim lane belonging to one team member, one as an assignee and one as a second assignee. But I couldn't do it, for the reasons outlined in this chat above.

The workaround I found was to combine Swimlanes with Quick Filters. I configured Swimlanes with the Assignee field and Quick filters with the custom field (e.g. Second Assignee in my case). When I then select one value in the Quick filter (i.e. a person who is a Second Assignee)  the swim lanes will display such tickets even though the main assignee is somebody else.

Like Douglas Kelly likes this

Suggest an answer