Is There any way to create "Sub-Component" for a Project..?

selvamanis October 2, 2012

Is There any way to create "Sub-Component" for a Project under a component (like a dependent component)

3 answers

1 vote
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

That's not possible jira does not support hierarchical components, in my previous organization we used cascading select field to achieve this, we created a two level cascading select field first option list is same as component names but hidden by javascript, on component on change method set the value in first level which will automatically update options at second level.

selvamanis October 2, 2012

i would like to assign default assignee for each items in the cascading select field first option list.

Is this Possible..?

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2012

I don't think that's possible by minor tweaks, as you would also need a place where you can define the assignment based on subcomponents IMHO it would be a lot of work to get it right, won't be possible by tweaking javascript.

0 votes
Vasyl Krokha September 16, 2013
Hi, now its possible with Subcomponents for JIRA plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.brokenbuild.subcomponents
Daniel Nuni December 18, 2019

Not really I'm afraid.. or I just didn't find the correct way.

This addon doesn't appear as a field so you can't access it from the "open issue" screen.. thisis pretty useless I hope they'll get back to me I sent a ticket

Like eugenia.matushchenko likes this
0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2012

if you're looking to assign to sub-components, short of a lot of coding work, I'd just use the components and use structured text to imply a kind of hierarchy...

MyMajorComponent-FirstSubComponent - Assignee=User1

MyMajorComponent-SecondSubComponent - Assignee=User2

MyOtherComponent-FirstSubComponent - Assignee=User3

It's less than perfect but it's workable

Tim Black May 29, 2019

@MatthewC this is the approach I'm taking for managing Component hierarchy. I'm trying to minimize the use of Jira plugins and complexity.

Joseph Philip July 4, 2019

@MatthewC  Can you please give more pointers on what exactly you did to add sub components. (where do I start?) 

Tim Black July 9, 2019

@Joseph Philip all we're talking about here is to create your own naming convention that you use for Components field, with major/minor component levels separated by a delimiter (as @Matthew Cobby illustrated), and then search/parse/interpret the Components field accordingly in your workflows. In Matthew's example above, since:

MyMajorComponent-FirstSubComponent

MyMajorComponent-SecondSubComponent

MyOtherComponent-FirstSubComponent

are all distinct Components from Jira's perspective, they each have their own "Lead" as he's also indicated.

Daniel Nuni December 18, 2019

The main issue with this approach is in the reports. if you want to slice a chart based on components, there will be too much sliced because each component is split to at least 2. This issue is pretty massive, jira is complex but this basic functionality doesn't exist.. bummer

Suggest an answer