Importing 3 Projects from OnDemand to a Download instance containing projects

Deleted user April 2, 2013

I have an OnDemand Instance containing 3 projects, whcih i need to import into our new Download instance.

I cannot do this through the initial set up wizard as the Download instance already contains projects.

My thoughts where to follow this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup, Although there will be 3 projects in the backup file from the OnDemand and I am not sure of this will work?

Does anyone know if this will work, and if not, a suggested solution?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2013

You will have to do the project import 3 times. But more importantly, the downloaded JIRA version should match the onDemand version.

You will have to install a temporary JIRA with current onDemand version I guess and wait for the downloaded JIRA version to catch up!

0 votes
Robert Matthews May 22, 2013

I have successfully got individual projects that were initially in Jira 6 OnDemand to be imported into a sandbox copy of our Jira 5.2.11 standalone instance.

1. Create a backup of the OnDemand data.
  2. Create a separate sandbox, install a copy of Jira standalone 5.2.11.
  3. During installation where you can enter the title of your instance, there is a link to 'import your existing database'. Select that link and import the OnDemand backup created in step #1.
  4. When the login screen is available, login using the Jira OnDemand sysadmin account. This account has more permissions than just a jira-administrator account.
  5. Verify your data has been imported into your sandbox.
  6. Go to the Administration screen while logged in as sysadmin. Perform another backup of this data creating a 5.2.11 version of the original data. Save this backup in a separate location for import later.
  7. Now restore a copy of your existing production data into your sandbox instance.
  8. Verify your copy of production data is available in the sandbox. Note that your login is probably the same as you use in production, so be sure to login with a jira-administrator account id.
  9. Next, from the Administration screen select 'Restore a Project'.
  10. Select the 5.2.11 sandbox backup of the original OnDemand data.
  11. The xml is read and you then can select the individual project to import. You may ONLY import one project at a time.

Good luck.

0 votes
Robert Matthews May 14, 2013

I am in the same position. We have upgraded our JIRA standalone instance to 5.2.11 which is said to directly import the On Demand backup. Doing the Restore Backup worked and the projects are now in my temporary instance of Jira 5.2.11. HOWEVER, I no longer have a selection to Backup the database. The only selection in the Import & Export section is for external system import.

How can I perform a backup that I can then use to import the individual projects into our production standalone JIRA?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events