IS it possible to create customfileds from user prespective rather than JIRA admin

srrekanth January 27, 2013

Hi All,

Is it possible to create custom fields from user end.Since we are getting many request from the user end.so we want to provide access to users to create thier own customfields,screen,filed configuration etc from thier end.we just want to know is it possible ?during this acrtivity admin will not be involved.

Thanks and regards,

srikanth

3 answers

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2013

You could try this

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ru.mail.plugins.mailselect

it seems to do what you want but I have no experience with it

If it's just Indian states, it's a list of known values that isn't going to change so it's easy to pre-populate.

if it's more dynamic, you either have to get an admin to do it or try the plugin (at your own risk)

srrekanth January 29, 2013

Hi Matthew,

I have downloaded and added in testing instance and it fine from our end.Just want to know further deatails is there any risk asscoiated with this plugin in jira functionality?If yes please share and whether is going to impact on other plugins.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2013

as Udo, says, No... even if you could, I wouldn't recommend it.

Users tend to only look at their porject and not the system as a whole. A high number of custom fields meakes jira harder to use, harder to administer. What if every user made every field global? What if a user changed the scope of another projects custom field? What is users create a new custom field which was effectively the same as another field but just didn't like the name?

your job as the admin is to intercept these requests and behave like a good developer. Can we reduce complexity? Can we reuse existing configuration? Can we use standard configuration?

Jira is great! It's flexible to the point where you can create so much configuration, you'll end up buring in the pit of jira admin hell...

also, if you still went down that route, you'd have to make everyone an adminsrator, which would mean they could do (almost) anything, at least it's no a jira-system-administrator. You'd break any kind of security betwen projects.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2013

Just to add to what Matthew said - I have a real-life example.

One of my old clients hired me on the basis that their Jira needed cleaning up. They had let users (specifically, project leads) create fields. They had 80 custom fields for start or end date. No one could find or report on anything useful to do with dates. They needed three start/end pairs at most.

Letting users define their own lists for select lists - absolutely fine (although not yet possible for fields other than component and version). Letting users define their own fields - you are asking for trouble, and letting them into the schemes - absolutely not.

srrekanth January 28, 2013

Hi Matthew,

we just want how automatically they can fill their values at run time. E.g. I have custom field called STATE in which AP and TAMILNADU are values. Later point of time, I want to add kerla and madya pradesh. How can I do this activity from user prespective?Is there any plugin needs to be added ?If yes share the plugin name.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

Dont use a select list, instead use, text field. that is the only possiblity if you are not ready to administer the values. Or use 'label' type.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

Renjths idea using label field instead is excellent. You get reusable entries and allow user to add new values.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

Suggest an answer