INTEGRATING JIRA WITH SAP

vinitswar January 28, 2013

As all the relevant information of a company like material, purchase orders, warranty ,etc. is available on SAP. We want to use this information while configuring JIRA.

Is there a possibility in which JIRA could be used to update SAP tables and SAP could be used to update the JIRA database.

For example, there is a machine with serial number - 1234, its current status would be available on SAP. If an issue is logged on JIRA for that machine, all the data like parts required , invoices issued,etc. could either be logged on JIRA or SAP but need to be seen on both portal.

Else there would be a need to re-enter the data rendering on of the portal unused.

4 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2013

Ah, I was expecting the standard "can we integrate" without any definition of what the user means by "integrate", but this is unusually clear.

Yes, you can do this, but you'll need to do some coding, and put a bit of thought into it. It's worth breaking into two parts which you can think of separately.

First, there's "do stuff in Jira, which updates SAP". You can write post-functions or listeners which will pick up events in Jira and then somehow post them into SAP. You could send email if SAP can listen and interpret them.

Exactly how you do the posting is mostly up to what SAP can accept as an interface (which I'm fuzzy on - my limited experience with SAP has told me it's a complete mess internally and nigh-on unusable both for humans and other computers, but it really is very limited and I'm blaming the people who "designed" it for that particular site).

Secondly, there's "do stuff in SAP, which updates Jira". Some options:

• Let's get one thing out of the way up-front: do NOT write to the Jira database with SQL. You will break Jira.
  • Atlassian recommend posting information into Jira via REST (there is a SOAP interface too, but it's deprecated, so I wouldn't bother)
  • Jira can accept simple updates via email. You can find or write email listeners to be a lot more clever than the off-the-shelf ones. (Frankly though, if you go via email, don't bother coding, just install the JEMH)
  • You've also got the options of Gadgets which can exchange information
  • You could code something to listen out for events over transport layers (I wrote a TIBCO to Jira thingy years ago - not going to pretend I understood the layer, but it did import correctly)
  • You can write stuff that reads the remote database directly - there's a really nifty "database values plugin" which creates lists in Jira's interface based on data in remote tables.
  • And if you want to do scripting, look at Bob Swift's Atlassian CLI - very helpful
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2013

That's one good answer!

Evgeny Victorov December 3, 2015

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], thanks for the ultimately clear answer. As almost 3 years have passed by, could you update the answer to 2015's reality, please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2015

The only update I've got to that answer is "SOAP is not an option at all any more, it went away in JIRA 6.4"

0 votes
Hans-Hermann Hunfeld March 30, 2017

Just stumbled accross this question, regarding hugh amount of data being load from another system we made some good experiences with Database Custom Field Pro. In our use case we added a customer search box in JIRA directly connected to our ERP, something about 500k results without filtering. This addon can be configured to search for a string with at least 3-4-5 letters and another injected where clause based on another custom field so it narrows down the list a lot.

Nevertheless, don´t do this directly on ERP´s production db but use BI tables instead... 

0 votes
Nuno Antunes December 9, 2015

hi @Arianna Fabbri and @vinitswar,

You already have the solution to integrate Jira with sap solution manager?

Thanks in advance

Olya Nikolaeva May 20, 2016

@Nuno Antunes @Arianna Fabbri hi ) which documents types you mean?

0 votes
Arianna Fabbri January 8, 2015

Hi @vinitswar,
what about this integration? Have you been able to implement it?
In our case, we are interested in retrieving data (for example material code + description) from SAP but it cannot be done with Database custom field because the huge number of record kill performances.
Any suggestion?

Thank you
Regards

Suggest an answer