How will I be charged for users created by the Mail handlers?

Hi all!

I've created a Mail handler to create new support tickets automatically from customers mails. If I check the "Create user" option in the Mail handler configuration, will I be billed for those new users just like any other user that I create via the User mgmt option?

I have the 25 users for $100 package for Jira

2 answers

1 accepted

I'd say there are 3 states for a user to be in: 'interactive', 'non-interactive' and 'disabled'. Only 'interactive' users count toward the license.

User creation with default Email handlers results in 'interactive' users being created, as Nic says, removing the right-to-use (usually jira-users group) converts the user to 'non-interactive', they cannot login to JIRA interactively but are still able to create issues by email subject to project permissions not being dependant on the 'interactive' group (eg jira-users).

With small numbers, doing this manually is simple enough. If the numbers go up, you'll need an automated solution, there are some commercial mail handlers out there that do this like JEMH.

Thank you guys , that was clarifying :)

One more question though, about those non-interactive users you mentioned Andy. Once they create a ticket by mail, will they be also able to receive by mail the comments that an interactive user makes in Jira? I tried but seems the comments are not sent. Is this right?

Thanks again!

Yes, external non-interactive' recipients can receive updates from interactive JIRA users.

There may be some behaviour in that area that is specific to the default mail listener, I'd have to look through JIRA source to pick out what /where. JEMH works as this one of the main features it supports.

If you turn up logging, you may find some information in the log to explain what is going on in the default mail listener.

Thanks again, for what you say it seems the problem is with Jira's mail sender, and not with the mail listner I've configured, since the tickets are created for every mail received, but no mails are sent with the comments in reply to that ticket.

Does Jira give official support for this?

How can I turn on logging?

Have a skim through as a sanity check - you'll get asked questions about the stuff in there wherever you turn for support! (I'm tempted to tell you to jump straight to the stuff about outgoing mail logging, but the rest of it is worth a read before you do that)

0 vote

Well, yes and no. A user is a user, whatever the source it's created by. Users take up seats, so if you go over 25, you'll need to increase your licences. However, it won't do it automatically - if you go over 25, it'll just stop some functions working until you reduce the numbers back down (remove them from the "can log in" groups)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Jason Wong
Published 6 hours ago in Agility Beta

Welcome to agility

Every team in the world is unique, and so   Atlassian believes   that each and every team's best way of working  needs to  be molded to their unique circumstances  – ...

110 views 3 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot