How to use a global transition without changing state

Ryan Grimard January 3, 2012

I want users to be able to edit certain fields (not all) for issues in any state. I can create a global transition, but the end state must be defined. I want the end state to be equal to the current state. In other words, I just want the user to edit fields but not change state.

I am able to set the end state to "-1" by manually editing the workflow XML but this prevents me from using the UI for modifying the workflow in the future. If I do use the UI, the end state for this global transition is changed to a real state (16).

How do folks implement a "restricted edit" function for their users?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Grimard January 17, 2012

I ended up modifying the edit screens instead of hacking the workflow with a -1 end state. Then I granted users the edit permission. This is not ideal, as I can not control who has edit privileges for specific fields. But it'll work for now.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2012

There isn't such a thing as a "global transition". Things like edit and comment are not a function of workflow. All workflow transitions have a single endpoint (otherwise you could define many -> many, which is nonsense)

To do this, you have to add a transition to each step you want your restricted edit to be available in.

The other option is to write some code to provide your restricted edit outside the workflow, like the standard edit.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2012

Ah, yes, sorry, in 4.4 and above. This thread covers what you need to know - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/21709/providing-restricted-edit-functionality-to-users

Global transitions are available in the workflow designer.

Ha. That's my thread. It answered a different question I had, but then wandered into this restricted edit functionality. My trouble is the "-1" transition end state. This is not accepted by the JIRA workflow UI (normal or designer) and reverts without telling you. I don't want to be stuck in a position where I have to edit the workflow xml every time I make a change.

Suggest an answer