How to use Jira for support tickets with several partners and prevent them from seeing others tickets?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2012

I am looking for a setup with a single Project because having too many proejects require too much work.

Here are the requirements:

• Number of partners 20-100
  • Some of them have multiple accounts and they want to be see tickets raised by other people from their own company.
  • We must be sure that Partner-A will not access/see Partner-B issues
  • We must be able to assign certain people per partner (default asignee)

Initially I was thinking to use the Components for this but some of the partners do use components.

Also I don't know if it would be acceptable to display the list of components for others. The best it would be if this would be totally transparent for the external users (partners) but visible for internal users (we have a special group for these).

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2012

Hi,

you can set issue security levels. Look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Security+on+an+Issue

You need a security level for each of your partners and set the according security level on their issues.

But I think, you cannot hide the Components from your customers.

Cheers

Thomas

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2012

This would be a good approach, but the question is if I can have a specific security level set by default based on who is adding the issue. This would be essential.

Also, this approach does not permit you to assign specific people for a specific partner.

Anyway, thaks. I will continue to investigate considering this aproach too.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2012

I think, setting a security level can be done through a workflow post function, also the assignment to a special developer. I haven't done this yet, but it seems not too complicated.

0 votes
JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2012

We did this by setting our permissions scheme (Browse) based on project role instead of group. When adding a new user you also add them to a project role within the project(s) they should have access. Unless the new user is associated with a project role, they can not browse or view any project.

We also set the Assignable User by project roles. Doing this means that when you select the Assign button, the users in the drop down list are specific to the project.

Suggest an answer