How to undo bulk changes?

Monica Pirlot April 20, 2017

I created a bulk update to the AC portion of all stories - and didn't realize it would not be additional to the AC but actually replace the AC verbiage.

Is there a way to undo this bulk change?  Without having to go and update all 100 stories?

Thank you

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Jeff Pittelkau May 7, 2018

This just bit me today. I was in a new view of my story backlog, with nothing selected, created an epic, and dragged ONE story to that epic. Somehow, this was treated as if I dragged EVERYTHING, and it blew up weeks of meticulous planning and mapping of epics and stories, which are used for reporting into our PMO and executives. The fact that Jira does not have an "Undo" feature is simply unfathomable for a product offered in 2018. If I am in a position to influence future decision about which product tracking to use, it will not be an Atlassian product.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2018

The idea of "undo" won't really help you here, you need to understand what you did and how the software understands what you asked it to do. 

I am not sure what you mean be "this was treated as if I had dragged everything" - what "everything"?  What did you drag into the Epic and what actually got moved into it?

Jeff Pittelkau May 7, 2018

Here are steps to repeat my issue:

- I logged in

- I opened my usual "story backlog" view

- I clicked in the link in the left column to create a new epic

- I dragged a single story (no other stories were highlighted in blue, nor was there a red badge with a "bulk move" ticket count)

- Jira then re mapped my entire backlog to this new ticket, i.e. it acted as if I did a bulk move (when I know better not to do that)

1 vote
Monica Pirlot April 25, 2017

Thanks,  they all had different verbiage - I was just hoping to make an addition to all - but now I know it replaces not adds - lesson learned...

1 vote
Gab Bautista April 21, 2017

Unfortunately, there's no rollback for changes done on JIRA issues either on Bulk Edit or just a single issue. All this change generates an entry in the JIRA issue history (for the issue's integrity) so generating a rollback would not make any sense. 

Your best bet would be to bulk-edit them again to previous value.

0 votes
Raj Vora October 10, 2018

I created a suggestion for adding the capability to undo bulk change, feel free to vote for it; hopefully it will gain some traction:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68075

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question