How to revert Bulk move Changes.

Avinash Kumar March 24, 2013

Hi,

I moved all the bugs of a project to another project, by mistake. I need to revert these changes.

Is there any way out?

Regards,

Avinash Kumar

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2013

You can't "revert" - Jira doesn't do it.

What you need to do is identify all the issues you moved, and then bulk-move them back. There's no quick function for "project was" that I know of, but with a bulk move, you can usually start from "updated since I clicked on bulk move".

You'll need to read through the full list carefully though - with just "updated since", people may have made other changes during or after the bulk move, so you'll need to work out how to drop those off the list. (The bulk edit function does allow you to select/deselect single issues from the list, which helps!)

Avinash Kumar March 24, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Actually, I wanted to revert the changes so that the Component, Build Version and Affect Versions fields associated with the issue also get their original values.

Is there any way out? I am new to JIRA and using version 3.13.

Regards,

Avinash

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2013

Ah, ok, well that's actually a totally different question!

This is a known bug/oversight in Jira (fixed in later versions, and I'd really recommend you upgrade as soon as possible), where it loses all the versions and components when you move an issue from one project to another

Moving them back will not fix it - the problem is that the components and versions have been stripped off completely, so a second move is not going to make the situation any better at all.

There is a fix though - the plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.ext.bulkmoverestorefields will allow an administrator to rebuild lost versions and components.

Note that you have to put identically named versions and components in the new project. The plugin is nice though - if you run it and it's missing them, it will tell you, then you can add them, and run it again. You can keep running it over and over too, if (like me) you keep mistyping the new names. Note that you'll want to do this before you think about upgrading as well - the upgrade only fixes the bugs that cause the loss of data, it won't repair old data.

Suggest an answer