How to restrict users from loading a bitmap file attachment to a jira issue?

Velavan February 26, 2013

Hi,

We are running on Jira 4.4. I need to know what is the allowable maximum file attachment size in Jira that wont impact the performance.

Also attachments of type jpeg,bitmap and png is allowed ; how to customize and restrict from users uploading file attachment to a jira issue to only jpeg and png?

Thanks

Velavan

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2013

I don't think there's much of a maximum size internally. There are two performance impacts to uploading large files

• There's a network hit when you upload or download the files
  • If you have set up indexing on attachments (via a plugin - I don't think it's been included in the core yet), then Jira will have to read and index the entire file.

To prevent uploads of the "wrong" file type is more problematic. You'll need to amend the core of Jira so that it checks the type of file by reading it's header and throws back an error to block incorrect types. I've used a number of systems that try to be "clever" and stop people uploading files by checking the file extension alone, which is utterly useless because people simply change it, and it's become an even worse idea as most software now reads the headers anyway. So a bitmap saved as .jpg is opened, read and displayed fine, because the extension is irrelevant.

I'd suggest the most simple solution is to set a relatively low attachment size on your system, and then people trying to upload uncompressed images will simply find them to be too large.

Suggest an answer