How to report Jira queries outputs in excel via automation

Praveen139 March 21, 2016

Hi,

Our team has migrated from Quality Center to Jira tool. We have installed Jira plugin Zephyr for execution.

But issue is we need to macro in excel where we can generate report automatically for bugs and executions. We have the jira queries in UI. From database putting sql queries is getting difficult as database is not well organized in Jira.

Can anybody tell me how can we automate excel having jira queries results like (total reopened bugs, critical bugs, total execution count of daily)?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Haha, when you're looking for JIRA Excel automation, you should try the Excel Automation Plugin for JIRAsmile

It basically automates the generation and emailing, saving or attaching Excel reports using highly customizable templates rendered to a final XLSX file by the Better Excel Plugin. Based on your description, this sounds as it is exactly what you need.

The automation tutorial is here, and the customization tutorial is here.

Praveen139 April 4, 2016

Thanks Ferenc to share this information. Let me do some trail on it.

1 vote
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

Hi, 

Please take a look at eazyBI report creation add-on for JIRA. With eazyBI you can create custom reports based on JIRA data. eazyBI also supports Zephyr specific custom fields, see more details here https://docs.eazybi.com/display/EAZYBIJIRA/Zephyr+Test+Management.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding eazyBI!

Kind regards,
Lauma / support@eazybi.com 

Praveen139 March 21, 2016

Hi Lauma,

We are trying to cut the budget of project. That's why we switch to Jira. So, we cannot afford it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2016

eazyBI is something I reach for when I can't do the reporting in plain JIRA.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2016

The JIRA database is not "not well organised", it's designed to store the application data efficiently.  It's absolutely not intended for reporting.

Atlassian can't know what every different client might want from a spreadsheet, so the software can only really give you the data in a usable formula.

If you want to use functions on it, you have two options

1. Take the download and add the functions to it, or paste the data from the download into a preprepared sheet with the functions you want
  2. Create your own download - you could take the code for the current excel download and base your own add-on on it, one that embeds all the formulae you want in it (I've done this a couple of times.  It has the disadvantage that it can render spreadsheets limited to one type, which can be an issue when half of your users are on LibreOffice, and the other half on Microsoft.  So think about it if you do go this route)

There is a third option - report inside JIRA instead - it can answer all the questions you've posed in your question (but I suspect you have more)

Suggest an answer