How to populate the resolution field in JIRA

Angelie Clark January 15, 2014

I'm sure that this is an easy solution but how so do you enter in a resolution or choose from the default resolutions once an issue is resolved.

The only options I have are Done and Stop Progress.

When you click edit there is no field for "resolution" so when you see the issue the resolution field displays "unresolved" and Status "Done".

How do I configure this so I can utilise this field??

3 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Angelie Clark January 16, 2014

Hi @Nicand @Peter,

Thank you both to replying to my question.

In the end I had to add a work flow which it did not have set.

When the issue is now closed the user is prompted to put in a resolution status and a comment etc.

It now updates my main screen where the resolution is displayed and on my dashboadrd where it was not previously showing.

This is what I was after.

Thanks you for assisting, as a new user to this product I know I will be contact again!

Angelie

0 votes
Angelie Clark January 16, 2014

@Dipti,

Thank you for getting back to me but I have seen these links already and I still cannot work out how to do this.

Is there sonewhere in here where I can attach a screen shot - cause it might help with what I am trying to explain.

The resolution field is viewable but not editable and I cannot find where I can edit it so the users can set a resolution.

0 votes
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2014

@Angelie,

1) this link will guide you to define new resolution : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+Resolution+Field+Values

2) There is already a jira predefined field called 'Resolution' , you can use that one to change the existing resolution.

3) this link will help in changing resolution through postfunction : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+to+clear+the+resolution+field+when+the+issue+is+reopened

Peter T. January 16, 2014

The Resolution field should be present in the Edit screen so that the user can edit it.

If you are using JIRA 6.x the easiest way to add a field is the following - you need to be Administrator.

If you are not on 6.x you should add Resolution to the Screen uese for the Edit operation for the particular IssueType. Let me know if you don't know how to do that.

More information can be found here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen

Like Idan Navias likes this
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2014

I agree it may lead to issues. But if this is all you want to do.

Some people coming from bugzilla experience find having fields on transitions sreens confusing. So they want all transitions to be without screens and all the data is changed on edit. If that's what they want.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2014

NO!

Do NOT do this.

If you add Resolution to the edit screen, then the first time any user edits the issue, they will set the resolution to something. You will end up with issues that are open and resolved at the same time and it's a total nightmare to repair.

NEVER put the resolution on an edit screen.

Resolution should only go on transition screens - ones that are resolving/closing an issue, and ones that are used specifically for changing incorrect resolutions. Not Edit. Just transitions.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2014

So, you are now saying that people actually want issues to be "open" and "closed" at the same time?

It doesn't matter what the users think they want here, because I'm sure that they do NOT want their data to be damaged and useless.

That seems like very very bad advice to me.

Again, please, do NOT put the resolution field on an edit screen as Peter has said, I absolutely guarantee that you will regret it.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2014

Listen to Nic, he knows ;-)

If you've done this already you can repair with https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-BulkFixResolutions

Suggest an answer