How to move a project from one instance of Jira to another

Sudha Sreenivasan June 16, 2014

We had a trial 10 license starter JIRA and my project is currently using it. Since then, we have a newer commercial instance that supports 100 people. I want to move my project with all my issues to the new JIRA instance. How can I do it?

2 answers

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2014

You can perform the Project Import as Jobin has mentioned, or if your project has just a few issues, you may prefer to perform a quick CSV import to a clean project of this other instance.

Run a quick filter searching for those issue on your project, than export the issues to a Excel file with all the fields, then conver the file to CSV, and proceed with the import.

This documentation may help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

Cheers.

I have 392 issues. Will my old sprint/Release/version information be retained ?

Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2014

I think you can do the CSV import, you just need to map the fields properly.

Regarding the fields of Agile module, it will not be imported nor by the CSV or Project import, beucase those informations are stored in the Plugin table, and the only method to export/import this information is the Full Restore.

We already have a feature request to allow the users to import Agile information of a single project in the future:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28748

Consider what is easier for you at this moment, Upgrade and perform the project Import, or adjust a CSV and perform a CSV import between different versions.

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

You can use the restore JIRA project option.

I assume, I have to backup first then right?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

Yes and both JIRA should be on the same version.

Thanks. Currenlty they are not . One is 6.1.3 and the other is 6.2; So, I will have to first get the two to be on the same version, then backup adn restore I guess. I will give it a try.

Thanks again,

Sudha

Suggest an answer