How to log changes in JIRA configuration?

Petr Lazovic August 18, 2014

Hi,

Is it possible to track and log changes in JIRA configuration?

I'm administrating JIRA, but i'm not the only administrator. I want other administrators to clear all changes with me before update and to see in logs what was changed in configuration.

I'd like to have all information about changes in configuration as one log or XML.

Thanx.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2014

If you are in a later version of Jira, you can enable the administrative logging function and you'll catch all admin actions in there.

Should be in Admin -> System -> Audit

Petr Lazovic August 19, 2014

Thanks Nic

JIRA 5.0.4

Cannot find Audit

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2014

It was in a version of 6, I can't be sure from memory, but I think it was 6.2. If you need auditing in lower versions, you're a bit stuck. Except that the Jira Auditor plugin works really well (and is the basis of what you'll find in 6.2+)

Nic,

How can I log changes of configuration? Is there any chance to log activity of jira-administartors and jira-system-administrators ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2014

Um, as I said already. Enable logging. Either by upgrading or installing the plugin

Nic,

Can I do something progammatically when logging the changes of configuration in version 5.0.4. through any ~.properties or ~.config. xml or Tomact files ?

Thanx

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2014

Well, you should be keeping your configuration changes on the file system under source control. But you don't make many changes to these, and they're done by people with access to the file system. NOT your Jira admins, who do the day-to-day stuff. Those changes are in the data in the database, not the file system.

Yes, you could code a plugin yourself, but you'll find it faster, cheaper and easier to upgrade to 6.2+ or install the Jira auditor plugin.

Suggest an answer