How to import issues but not users into Jira?

SethF
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 5, 2012

How can I import issues but not users into Jira?

I have a Bugzilla database. I've successfully exported from Bugzilla to a local Jira instance and then into Jira OnDemand. That said, when I went through the process a second time, there was no option to exclude the user import into either Jira local instance or Jira OnDemand. This is an issue because we've already got the users set the way we want them in the production Jira OnDemand. So how can we import the issues but not the users? Or is there a way to get the users to intelligently import instead of blowing away the existing user data?

2 answers

0 votes
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

Well, while importing issues the importer needs to do something with reporter, assignee (and other of type user) fields and the author of comments, worklogs, etc.

So it either has to create corresponding users for these entities (you don't want them to be "undefined") or, if you already have users in your JIRA instance, you have to use the appropriate user mapping.

You can specify it via importer wizard. If you have tons of users then, I would suggest mapping just a handful via UI and, saving configuration file and then editing it - it will be more effective than using web UI which is not designed to deal with mass-mapping.

0 votes
Abdoulaye Kindy Diallo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

This result from a quick search may help.

Suggest an answer