How to import an issue from one JIRA to another JIRA installation?

Leigh Lee January 8, 2014

Hi, all.

Please share with me the proper way to import an issue or many from one JIRA to another.
We've got a production server with more than 130k of issues. Our staging is on Cloud and it's not free of charge, we have to pay according to how many Gbs are taken by our JIRA test and Oracle Db installations, both on the same Cloud server. That's why we don't want to keep 130k of issues on staging server. Our JIRA on staging with all project, workflow, fields, screens settings is almost the 100% copy of production JIRA. We need, if any trouble arises on production JIRA, import the problematic issues only to the staging JIRA and reproduce the error. What JIRA functionality is designed for that, if any?

Version: JIRA 5.0.4

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Cameron Martin December 5, 2020

jfhdih;

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2014

Hi,

If your configurations are identical (plugins, versions, ...) you could simply do an export from your production server and an import the problematic project into your staging server. This can all be done through the system administration pages of JIRA.

You could also export the issues to excell, transform it into a csv and import it again in your staging env.

Or you could take a look at the following plugin (you will need to upgrade to JIRA 5.0.7):

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.cpji.cpji-jira-plugin

Best regards,

Peter

Leigh Lee January 12, 2014

Thanks, Peter

I followed your suggestions and this link https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

and half-way through my "beautiful" Jira Russian Language Pack threw "?" signs instead of values when selecting fields on "CSV-Import -> Set up fields mapping" page, one more headache. Same "?" signs everywhere in logs.

Trying to sort that out.

Cheers.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2014

Hello,

Such problems could indicate that you picked the wrong file encoding when uploading CSV file (default encoding expected by JIRA is UTF-8 but it's configurable in the first screen of the wizard).

Please make sure that you selected the same encoding which is used by your CSV file.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Aravindi Amarasinghe October 1, 2017

Hello, 

I got html tags in description  when coping issues. 

Do you know how to get rid of it? 

Thank you!

Suggest an answer