How to implement a form for the first time login users in Jira?

Abhrajit Sarkar November 11, 2013

Hi,

I have got a request to implement a form, which will capture customized profile data, for new Jira users. As soon as a user is invited or shared a link in Jira and the user logs in, the form should pop-up.

Once the user submits the data, it will go through an approval cycle. Project Lead has to approve the data so that the new user can access issues.

Please suggest if there is a way to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Abhrajit

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2013

Remember that Jira doesn't have user fields as such, so you'll need to think about how and where you store any data captured from the user. Renjith's suggestion of an issue collector is good because you'd end up with a project full of user requests and their details, but Jira won't be aware that any of that data is really user related - you'll need to think through what to do with it.

Hello Nic,

You are right. Thanks for pointing out some crucial points.

Apparently issue collector might be a suggestion, but I think the requirement is somehow different. Anyway I appreciate both of your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2013

I know quite a few sites who automate user stuff like this. The issue collector makes it easy to create the requests outside Jira, but the places I'm thinking of set up "user" projects to track users in some detail.

The basic idea is that "user = issue". So you have one issue per user, and you can track them through the cycle of new-starter/active/left with a workflow, attach things to the issue, comment for training notes, dates of joining/leaving, track system access add/removes and so-on.

Of course, none of that feeds back into the user profile, as Jira doesn't see the issues as users, it's just data. But, you can start to do clever things with it after you've implemented it. The obvious trick is a post function or listener which updates user's profiles in Jira, but I've seen listeners that poke the information into Crowd and LDAP too, plus ones that add and delete users in other systems that are using other user access lists.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

I would suggest to use an Issue Collector which is added to JIRA itself by the name 'Sign-up' which can collect whatever data that you want and also have the workflow for approval (as it is a normal JIRA issue)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Issue+Collector

Thanks for your quick response Renjith.

I think an issue collector will create an issue each time the form is submitted. This is what I don't want here. It should be unique to each new user just once. It's a kind of user informtion capture tool.

So, once the data is captured, the user should access Jira like a regular user then on.

Can you describe a bit more how to use issue collector in this regard, if there is a way I am missing?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

Yeah, it will. If the user request is not getting approved (and he is not getting responses for his requests), that might be another thing to look at :).

Once the approval is done, do you think any user will create it again? Even if it gets created, the approval step should detect duplicates and remove it.

I am thinking, that is something which can happen rarely rather than a usual practice.

Suggest an answer