How to do testing in jira for changes made?

We have test and PRD environment for JIRA but i heard from my collegue that we cannot directly move the changes (i mean as a component). Plz let me know if we need to recreate issues in prd or is there any way

5 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Your colleague is basically correct - there's no way to move configuration between Jira installations. You can export/import issues and workflows, but that's about it. The rest is manual.

There are some plugins which can help - check the marketplace.

JIRA Command Line Interface exportData will handled some project configuration data and you can use other CLI actions for handling issues.

Yes. it is pain in the ass.

I put my hopes on JIRA Workflow Sharing plugin, I think it should be capable of this functionality - incremental changes, but this is still a future.

Actually i am just wondering whether there is a way to ensure quality of the configurations or changes done in production environment? (having the constraint of not able to move the changes from QA to Production environment.)

This shall help in ensuring less number of incidents whenever we are supporting the applications hosted on JIRA.

Regarding the question about how to ensure the quality of a JIRA installation: the best way is to write an automated test that tests aspects of your installation, at least the most critical aspects. You need to make trade-offs between the difficulty/cost of tests versus the impact of something missing. You can subset the tests when run on the production environment to reduce unwanted effects (adding issues to live production projects for instance). GINT - Groovy Integration Test Framework has JIRA specific support so you can write some relatively simple verification tests to verify configurations and operations.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Thursday in United States

Local Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th

We're looking for participants for another workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sh...

72 views 0 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you