How to do testing in jira for changes made?

suryavani bhallamudi August 7, 2012

We have test and PRD environment for JIRA but i heard from my collegue that we cannot directly move the changes (i mean as a component). Plz let me know if we need to recreate issues in prd or is there any way

5 answers

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

Regarding the question about how to ensure the quality of a JIRA installation: the best way is to write an automated test that tests aspects of your installation, at least the most critical aspects. You need to make trade-offs between the difficulty/cost of tests versus the impact of something missing. You can subset the tests when run on the production environment to reduce unwanted effects (adding issues to live production projects for instance). GINT - Groovy Integration Test Framework has JIRA specific support so you can write some relatively simple verification tests to verify configurations and operations.

0 votes
suryavani bhallamudi August 8, 2012

Actually i am just wondering whether there is a way to ensure quality of the configurations or changes done in production environment? (having the constraint of not able to move the changes from QA to Production environment.)

This shall help in ensuring less number of incidents whenever we are supporting the applications hosted on JIRA.

0 votes
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

Yes. it is pain in the ass.

I put my hopes on JIRA Workflow Sharing plugin, I think it should be capable of this functionality - incremental changes, but this is still a future.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

JIRA Command Line Interface exportData will handled some project configuration data and you can use other CLI actions for handling issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2012

Your colleague is basically correct - there's no way to move configuration between Jira installations. You can export/import issues and workflows, but that's about it. The rest is manual.

There are some plugins which can help - check the marketplace.

Suggest an answer