How should I provide feedback about errors in a KB article?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to Re-Index JIRA Data Center without Downtime

Atlassian KB writers - now that comments have been disabled, how do we tell you when we see problems in a KB page? These could be grammatical or technical problems.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Andreacchio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2016

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reaching out about this issue, I'm glad to see you're both interested in the health of our knowledge base and are wishing to provide feedback to it as you always have. 

As you've noticed, the product knowledge base spaces have recently been converted over to using the Confluence viewport plugin. Our official documentation was converted over to viewports sometime last year so this was a move towards consistency of look, feel, and experience for our customers. Part of that work included removing the comments from pages also.

Background aside, you can see that we have implemented two points of feedback. One being the Was This Helpful survey, and the other the answers.atlassian.com integration. As you've likely noted, unfortunately neither of these are the best way raise a problem with the KB solution which leaves us currently without a good way to receive these valuable insights from customers. It is something that we wish to be looking into improving and I thank you for voicing your opinion on the matter.

As an alternative for now, if you see an issue with one of our KB articles we'd ask for you to raise a support issue on support.atlassian.comoffering the URL of the KB, the sentence/s that need work, and what needs to be fixed with them. In the meantime as a short term solution I'll try to make this process more transparent through our "Getting help" pages.

Cheers,

Michael Andreacchio

Atlassian Knowledge Manager

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2016

I have to say that the handful of documentation issues I've raised with support.atlassian.com have all been fixed or improved really quickly.  I'd like to see a dedicated support request type for it though, if that's going to become the official way to do it.

Michael Andreacchio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2016

It's great to hear that our support team do their best to help fix these types of problems as quickly as they can. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be looking into options that are as easy and frictionless as possible, though if we do route customers to support.atlassian.comthen having a dedicated request type is certainly an option.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

Thanks, Michael. I quite understand why comments were removed. They're hard to monitor, track progress and close. The use of aac is ok for general questions or feedback, but not so good for specific corrections. A JAC project or issue type seems like a useful approach to me.

Whatever you and the team choose, I'd like to be able to figure out what the current, approved process is.  

Michael Andreacchio
Atlassian Team
March 8, 2016

Thanks Matt, the current approved process is to log problems with KBs on support.atlassian.com and a support engineer will take care of the rest. I acknowledge that this process isn't a perfect experience for our customers and will be seeking to improve it if possible. There will be an update if/when this happens.

Jason Smart May 23, 2016

There is no clear category to submit a support request for documentation changes. I'm presuming if the documentation is about JIRA I should raise a JIRA support request? But some of the articles are about Atlasssian apps in general. So it is not obvious what category to use in that case.

This post is the only information I can find right now about how to submit feedback about documentation and it is a response to a question rather than unprompted information.

It is then, that a reasonable amount of prodding and digging has to be done then in order to provide feedback on documentation.

It seems counter to be requesting support in order to report a problem.

Seems I can report a problem (that is raise an issue) about the product but not the product documentation, which is odd to me.

Joshua Balsillie December 7, 2017

It would be helpful if KB articles could be linked to community articles that have a very relevant connection like the following KB article and community article.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/cannot-add-transitions-or-delete-steps-in-draft-workflows-203392961.html

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Not-able-to-add-transition-to-Resolved-step-Workflow/qaq-p/371920

This could be a part of community feedback, as an extension for to issues and further explanation.

Suggest an answer