How does Sprint Health Gadget calculate Scope change?

The Sprint Health Gadget that was introduced in Greenhopper 6.2 displays a percentage value for scope change. How is this value calculated?

If I start a Sprint with 100 points, drop stories worth 20 p and add something else worth 20 p, what is my scope change percentage?

2 answers

1 accepted

Based on empirical testing, the value is just the number of points currently in Sprint scope versus number of points originally in the sprint scope.

So as an answer to my question, 100 p + 20 p - 20 p would result in a scope change of 0 %.

hmm, this is confusing me too.

We had 19 points at the start of our sprint, added 5 issues worth 5pts in total, and it is saying 53% scope change. How?

Are you certain that your board is set up to estimate in story points? Even if you're tracking story points, it might be configured for e.g. issue count.

Definitely. We have 6 teams that have been using agile boards for 4 months. Generally the calculations seem ok, but this is definitely wrong.

I think it's a combination of adding/removing things from sprints, changing story points, is causing something to go wrong somewhere.

There's also a problem with the velocity vs sprin/burndown report calculations.

I wish someone from Atlassian could give a definitive answer as to how these calculations should work - it would then be a lot easier to work out what's wgoing wrong.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted 6 hours ago in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

23 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot