How do I view the guideline on the rapid Burndown Chart?

Dafydd June 20, 2013

I'm trying to create a decent burndown chart for the team using the rapid board feature, but the chart is missing a guideline (see screenshot), even though it's mentioned in the legend on the right. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please? Thanks!

screenshot

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2013

Hi there,

By looking at your chart I believe that you added some issues after starting your sprint (scope change), the problem is that the that the burndown chart guideline is generated when the sprint starts, and it will not get updated when scope change happens, so the guideline is there but is in zero. Starting your sprint with issues in it should solve your problem.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Marlon

Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2013

It might also be the case that it was the estimates that were added after the Sprint was started - then the guideline will be flat as well.

1 vote
Nils Winkler January 14, 2014

I just ran into the same issue. The Sprint was started at the beginning of the Sprint Planning session, then the stories were added, broken down into tasks, and then the estimation (in hours) of the individual tasks was done. Since the Sprint was already started, all of the stories were listed as Scope Change at the bottom of the page.

To solve this, I went back to the planning board and changed the start time of the Sprint to the end of the planning session, right after all of the estimations were done. Going back to the Burndown chart, I can now see the guideline, which previously was going from 0 on the left to 0 on the right.

MarkD January 20, 2015

This worked for me too. I clicked on the down arrow next to the Sprint Title on the Board > Work View page and was able to move the start time for the sprint to after the time the issues were added.

Balvant Biradar June 4, 2015

Thanks Nils. Really it helped me

0 votes
Read Only August 1, 2013

Does nobody know the answer to this!?

Read Only August 1, 2013

Right, it was my own stupid dumb fault. I started the sprint before adding the user stories to it. I'm red-faced now...

0 votes
Read Only July 24, 2013

"Estimation Statistic" is set to "Story Points", "Time Tracking" is set to "None" on the board config page.

0 votes
Read Only July 23, 2013

Are we talking about Greenhopper here? If so, I have the same problem. I added Story Points to stories, then added them to the sprint, then started the sprint. The "Guideline" is flat zero all the way along.

Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2013

Is your Board set to use Story Points as the estimate value? If it's using time tracking values, the guideline will be flat (if no time estimates were added).

Suggest an answer