How do I update component field using post functions in a transition?

I have the JIRA Utilities Suite installed and there are two options but neither offer Component as an update field:

1. Update Issue Custom Field:Updates an issue custom field to a given value.

2. Update Issue Field:Updates a simple issue field to a given value.

Is this a problem with my Component field type or is Component not able to be edited using Post Functions?

Specifically, I want all issues of a single type to be assigned into a specific Component.

5 answers

1 accepted

Short answer would be no.

@All Thanks for all the suggestions. In the basic install of OnDemand with JIRA Utilities Suite, We are not able to update Component(s) field as a post function (which seems like a no brainer).

To update the Component(s) field as a transition Post Function, I have two options:

1. Install Bob's plugin: https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CW for $300 for this one workflow, which I can't justify to my company.
  2. Write a custom Post Function, which will require updates and maintenance if ever I or another producer want to add the ability in the workflow.

Neither option seems streamlined or long term. I'll go request it be a field added to the JIRA Utilities Suite.

Again, thanks @All for the suggestions!

2 years later I encountered this problem and here is my solution / hack for whoever else finds this topic on Google:

1. Create a Custom Field (I used "Components Hack") with a dropdown that has the same options as your  Component/s. Don't need to add it to any screens.
  2. Add a Post Function on transition to Update Custom Field (Components Hack) to Audio or whatever you need
  3. Add another Post Function to "Copy Value from Field to Field" and copy the value from Components Hack to Component/s

It's dirty but it works smile

Thanks, this workaround does work. You have to be careful to use a select list not a regular text field because it wouldn't work that way.

the best way is write a postfunction using java syntax or using script runner plugin

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

another way is by using javascript you can set default value for component!

Conditioned Workflow Functions for JIRA has a post function for updating issues including components.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: Magic Eyes

...staring into the background. Once the image pops out in 3D, you can look around the picture and enjoy. If you will see if you are a true illusion master! :) You did it? :) Wow! Awesome! As a bonus...

425 views 79 11
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you