How do I export attachments associated with the projects?

C Olson August 6, 2013

How do I export the attachments associated with the projects using the XML project export/import tool. I heard it requires a soap call - can anyone advise on how to do this?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

Hello c olson,

Give JAM(https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.infosysta.jira.JAM/server/overview) a try. It can export and then import all your attachments to a second instance.

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

If you're running on-premisis Jira, the easiest thing to do is copy the flat files from disk directly. They are located in $JIRA_HOME/data/attachments (or %JIRA_HOME%\data\attachments on Windows) by default. You can look in "System Information" in the admin panel to find the location for sure. In order to do a full restore, simply dump the attachment directory structure into the same location on your destination host and import the XML. If you're doing a project import, copy the Project key directory from your attachments backup and dump it in $JIRA_HOME/import/attachments and point Project Import at your XML file.

If you're trying to get them to have their original file names, you will need to either do something in the API or write a SQL script to provide the name of the file on disk and it's original name, then rename the flat file back to it's original name. Filenames are obfuscated on disk with modern versions of Jira.

Suggest an answer