• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How do I edit the permissions of a group? I see how to add or remove users, but not how to manage the permissions of those in that group. How do I do this?

How do I edit the permissions of a group? I see how to add or remove users, but not how to manage the permissions of those in that group. How do I do this?

Sarah Gilkison June 6, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: View, create, or delete a group

Ask your question here...

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2016

Generally, you don't, for two reasons.

First, the permissions model is not so much group oriented - you don't get at permissions via groups, you use groups when setting up permissions.  There's a good reason for that, in that groups are not the only thing you can use in permissions, there are project roles, dynamic roles, users, field contents and so-on.

Secondly, since JIRA 3.6, it's better to use roles.  Roles are available in all projects, can be used in permissions, but give you the huge flexiblity to allow different projects to have different access models, while still using the same set of permissions, and, that is delegated to the project administrators.

So, the general advice is:

• Use groups sparingly - if at all possible, only use them in "global permission"
  • Set your permission schemes to use roles, then let the project owners add the individual users, and/or groups into the roles.

Suggest an answer