How do I create a new issue tracking ticket with the issue tracking that we have already???

Thomas Adkins September 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA 101

We have issue tracking enabled (or at least, it did work before the "upgrades"), and now we can see the issues tickets that have, but don't see how to create a new one.  Do we have to upgrade or something to do what we were already able to do?  You kind of suggested very strongly that everything was "simpler", and I'm not seeing that, actually.  It doesn't seem simpler for me at all...

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2016

I think there's some context missing here.

There is nothing to "enable" in JIRA here - if you're running it, you've got "issue tracking" because that's what it does.  I'm afraid there's not enough information in the question to work out what "upgrades" you're referring to, or what you mean by "simpler".

Could you explain what you think has changed and why?  All I can see at the moment is that you've lost your "create" button on the main menu bar (which will happen if you exceed your licence numbers or a trial expires), but I'm not sure what you're seeing or what you expect.

Thomas Adkins September 2, 2016

Thank you so much for your quick answer.  We got the new login screen.  Then, some reason, I and my boss were taken to a completely different screen than the one we were used to.  We do not currently have any special features enabled, so I'm guessing that the screen we saw of our projects, etc., appears to have been intended to show us how the projects would look if we enhanced the functionality of our account. 

Turns out that when I logged in a second time after that, I was no longer forwarded to the confusing screen, and we could see our projects just as before.  I went to issues, and the Create button was right there where I was expecting it. 

Hopefully, this explains our confusion, and perhaps enables you to understand how being pushed into a new view of our projects created the illusion we were unable to create an issue ticket when this wasn't really the case. 

Cheers from Tulsa, OK

Thomas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2016

I'm afraid it's still unclear.  You've not told us what this "upgrade" is or who did it, or why.

If you were on Atlassian Cloud, it would make sense, as they upgrade the software frequently.  But you've tagged it with "JIRA 6.4" which implies server.  So if an upgrade has happened, it's something your organisation did, and probably should have uncovered any changes before going live.

Could you confirm whether you're on Cloud or not?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2016

I'm thinking he's on Bitbucket Cloud with issue tracking eh?

Or perhaps they have Service Desk and they went to the portal?

Suggest an answer