How do I change Issue assignee in bulk

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

I have a number of Issues created by a user that I need to assign to a different user. I can get a list, but the bulk update tool doesn't have a choice for changing the Issue assignment.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

For whatever reason, in the new JIRA instance I now have a choice that lets me change field contents. I am all set.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

Are you sure? I can change the assignee through bulk edit issue.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

Don't see how, but I am happy to have my ignorance cured. Here's what I see.

Start here, and click the "all 50 issue(s)" under 'Bulk Change'

Then check them all...

And click NEXT to get here... where I see nothing about changing the assignee.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

You need permission to edit the issues. That is where the assignee can be changed.

Like rashgild likes this
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

Of course. But I have permission. I am logged in with the same account I used to create the Issues. I can open any one of them individually and reassign.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

Well, that is what JIRA is saying. An alternative is to use the JIRA Command Line Interface and specifically the runFromIssueList action with the same JQL. Use

--common "--action updateIssue --issue @issue@ --assignee xxxxx" --continue

similar to How to use runFromIssueList. The --continue will allow it to continue through any errors. I suspect a permission problem with one of the issues. Then you can go the UI and see if it provides more info.

Suggest an answer