How can we put in a real return address?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

Below is the information on setting the return address for e-mail generated by JIRA.

Does anyone know a way to make the return address match the user's login. My login id is "georgec" and my e-mail address is "georgec@mydomain.com"

I'd like to set the field to something like $(id)@mydomain.com so that anyone receiving an e-mail from JIRA would know who performed the action that triggered the e-mail.

From address

Specify the email address used in the 'sender address' (or 'from') field of notification messages sent by JIRA, unless overridden in a project configuration.
(info) Only specify an email address for this field (e.g. jira@example-company.com). JIRA will use this value to construct the full 'from' header based on the current user ("Joe Bloggs (JIRA) <jira@example-company.com>").
To change the 'from' header, go to Administration > System > General Configuration and (underSettings), edit the Email from field.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

This is defined within JIRA, using the 'personal' component 'remote user'<jiraemail@place.com> seems to be an allround comproprise that works.

I wonder though, have youi tried setting a project from: address as a test to match a given user, and the result is? The reason I ask is that I implemented a generic 'alternate' from: address in JEMH, however, it very much depends on your Mail server as to whether or not it will allow it. For example, without specific steps, Gmail will just rewrite and different from: address to the account address.

To actually do this you would have to write your own listener, and write your own notification code to populate the email. Alternatively, if you can prove to yourself your server will actually respect that change, I would be happy to roll in such a feature into JEMH that already has a Notificaiton Scheme drive JIRA Issue event listener.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2012

Found a simple answer:

In General Configuration I entered this in the 'Email from' field:

"${fullname}" <${email}>

Suggest an answer