How can I control the Mail Handler to use POP instead of IMAP?

Ali Diba March 18, 2013

I have setup a POP server for the mail handler to access but I keep getting the following error message indicating that mail handler is using IMAP. I am using JIRA 4.0.

2013-03-18 12:34:26,394 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-1 ERROR ServiceRunner Create/Comment Service SBMWD [service.services.mail.MailFetcherService] Create/Comment Service SBMWD[10010]: Error connecting to host 'mail.foobar.com' as user 'test' via protocol 'imap': javax.mail.MessagingException: Connection timed out: connect; nested exception is:

java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

1 answer

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2013

Hi Ali,

You can change the connection type via Administrations > Mail Server > edit the Pop Server > make sure to specify pop instead of imap in the Host Name.

In general, the error that JIRA throws here indicate that it has problem connecting to mail server (mail.foobar.com). Thus, you can check if:

1. the mail server mail.foobar.com is running
  2. make sure it is accessible from server where JIRA is installed . You can test using telnet command
  3. check if there any antivirus or firewall or anything that possibly blocking the mail server's port number in JIRA's server

Good luck.

Suggest an answer