Have burndown chart applied to different column

Amanda van Noordenne July 5, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How do Story Points get burnt down and reflected on the Burndown Chart

Is it possible to change which column is 'done' for the burndown chart?

We use 'approved by team' which is the one I would like to use for the burndown chart to see if we're on schedule. After that there are two more columns 'approved by testing' and 'approved by client'.

Now the burndown uses the last column as a reference. Can I change this?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2016

It will always be the last column. But you can map the statuses you want to that last column.

Ideally, a board is for a team and only the statuses that applies to that team should be mapped on the board. And in that case, the last column will be the status 'defined as done' by that team!

Amanda van Noordenne July 5, 2016

I thought so already, but thanks for explaining anyway.

We'll think about our workflow and figure out what works best for our projects.

1 vote
Steph Thommen September 13, 2017

Would anyone know if this is still the case? I want to get a visual of where we stand with our sprints before stories get reviewed by the clients

Andrew Arizpe November 16, 2017

I still can't find a solution. Have you figured it out? Has Anyone?  

Steph Thommen November 17, 2017

It is still the case, basically Jira takes the last column as the end of the process always.

Our use case is that we want clients to approve tasks during sprint review, so we had 4 columns: To do, In Progress, Done, Accepted. 

Since Sprint review is every 2 weeks, the burn down looked like we did all the work on the last day of the sprint.

We decided to revert to 3 columns (remove Accepted) and use Labels to mark tasks as accepted by the client.

Not sure this will help, but it's a work around for this particular case.

Like Andreas Steinwachs likes this
0 votes
Michael Kogan December 10, 2017

My workaround was to unite the two last columns and differentiate between their two statuses using a Quick Filter.

Mudi Dissanayake January 2, 2020

Like that, do you mind sharing a bit more. I want to know how to tell the chart to pick up that filter or more than the last column

0 votes
Michael Kogan December 10, 2017

I have the same problem. It's quite frustrating to have to tailor our process according to Jira Agile's limitations :-(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2017

To be fair, it's not a Jira limitation, it's an Agile one.  Agile processes define only the last column as "done"

Gabriel Louet May 9, 2019

That's utter nonsense. Where does it say that?

You should be able to define where Done is for the team on your board. End-Users using labels to get around this is wasted effort and is feedback to Jira that they need to make the tool more flexible

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2019

There is a very clear definition of done as being one single thing in the manifesto.  Jira reflects that by only having one column (in which you can put many status).

Mudi Dissanayake January 2, 2020

Nic, there are no columns in Agile. Definition of Done is defined by the team. And if we decide the DOD is when it's ready to deploy then that is it. 

In our case, we just had a deploy freeze due to Christmas holidays so all work is in the column before the last one. How do I tell the chart to accept both columns as 'Done'

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer