Group story with sub-tasks in swimlanes

Razvan Radulescu May 10, 2017

Hello All,

One of our users raised an interesting query about a Sprint board, more precisely if there's any way that in the board's settings > Swimlanes, without changin the setting from Queries, can we group the Stories with their associated sub-tasks.

For example, if on the Swimlanes, we leave the "Base Swimlanes on" option to "Stories", the board will show Stories, with their associated sub-tasks. However, we would like that the option be set to Queries, but also show the Stories and their sub-tasks.

So, this:

JiraQueries_Swimlanes.png..would need to be turned into this:

JiraSwimlanes_Default.png..without changing the "Base Swimlanes on" from Queries.

Is that possible in any way?

Thank you,

Razvan

4 answers

1 vote
Arnold May 3, 2022

Bottom line up front:  scriptrunner and

issuetype = Problem or issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype in (problem)")

---

Detail:

I had a similar problem that I solved over this past 24h with scriptrunner

Our teams work on Incidents, Problems and then Project Work and then OKR work.

I tried setting swimlanes to 'Queries' and entering the swimlane JQL as 'issuetype = Incident', 'issuetype = Problem' but found that out-of-the-box (no plugins/apps) wouldn't group sub-tasks in the relevant swimlanes;  they went into a swimlane by itself.

The proposed solutions her at the Community was to do something using workflow transitions and populate the labels field and then have the swimlanes JQL say something like 'issuetype = Incident or labels = 'Subtask:Incident'' but that seemed ugly

Then I turned to our scriptrunner plugin and this worked perfectly:

issuetype = Problem or issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype in (problem)")

Problem solved :)

0 votes
David Marshall February 26, 2018

I hope I'm not disturbing etiquette with a graveyard post. How was the first image @Razvan Radulescu posted achieved?

That's exactly the configuration I'm trying to set up (sub-tasks within the same swimlane as parent issue types) but no luck so far.

I understand there are plugins to achieve it but the team won't go for a paid option, unfortunately.

Thanks in advanced

Razvan Radulescu February 27, 2018

@David Marshall No plugins needed here. You have to go in the board's settings and do something like this:

Capture.JPG

Like # people like this
0 votes
Razvan Radulescu May 12, 2017

Thank you for your reply, Nic!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2017

I'm afraid not, because JIRA can't know how to group things for swimlanes if outside the "story + subtask" concept.  What would happen if you put in a swimlane like "issue is in subtasktypes()"?  Or even "component = X" - it can't group the subtasks under stories if you try to define swimlanes with these.

Nestaa July 10, 2017

Sorry to hijack this post. I'm grouping my swimlanes on stories. But the board (Active Sprint), still shows structure similar to "no swimlanes". Is there anything else that have to be set?

image.png

Brian Longstreet May 28, 2020

I'm having the same problem Nestaa.

Douglas Schossler May 6, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- is there an improvement ongoing to this topic? When do we expect to have this functionality? 

Like Jonatan Cloutier likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

You should not be "expecting" to have this.  It's still a logical impossibility given the shape of the data, as I explained above.

Suggest an answer