Group story with sub-tasks in swimlanes

Hello All,

One of our users raised an interesting query about a Sprint board, more precisely if there's any way that in the board's settings > Swimlanes, without changin the setting from Queries, can we group the Stories with their associated sub-tasks.

For example, if on the Swimlanes, we leave the "Base Swimlanes on" option to "Stories", the board will show Stories, with their associated sub-tasks. However, we would like that the option be set to Queries, but also show the Stories and their sub-tasks.

So, this:

JiraQueries_Swimlanes.png..would need to be turned into this:

JiraSwimlanes_Default.png..without changing the "Base Swimlanes on" from Queries.

Is that possible in any way?

Thank you,

Razvan

3 answers

0 vote

I'm afraid not, because JIRA can't know how to group things for swimlanes if outside the "story + subtask" concept.  What would happen if you put in a swimlane like "issue is in subtasktypes()"?  Or even "component = X" - it can't group the subtasks under stories if you try to define swimlanes with these.

Sorry to hijack this post. I'm grouping my swimlanes on stories. But the board (Active Sprint), still shows structure similar to "no swimlanes". Is there anything else that have to be set?

image.png

Thank you for your reply, Nic!

0 vote

I hope I'm not disturbing etiquette with a graveyard post. How was the first image @Razvan Radulescu posted achieved?

That's exactly the configuration I'm trying to set up (sub-tasks within the same swimlane as parent issue types) but no luck so far.

I understand there are plugins to achieve it but the team won't go for a paid option, unfortunately.

Thanks in advanced

@David Marshall No plugins needed here. You have to go in the board's settings and do something like this:

Capture.JPG

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

64 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you