Greenhopper - how to apply/force parent-child relationship display of epic-story in issues Filter view

Lisa Rahder January 28, 2013

Is there a way to apply/force a nested display of theme-epic-story in an issues Filter view? It is very important to view all stories under thier respective epics while building the backlog, well in advance of planning sprints (so we cannot use the spint-planning interface for building the backlog for the entire project).

So far Jira is bad at this (bad at themes, too), so I hope someone can help: if we cannot get a nested view of epics-user stories we will be forced to use Excel for backlog creation, them push them into Jira when first sprint planning time comes.

Thank you!!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lisa Rahder February 3, 2013

Hey, Renjith,

Yes, I spoke with Igor from Almworks last week and this plug-in looks like it will give us the view we need! They do not yet have editable column-titles, which would be very useful making the view immedaitly understandable in Stakeholder/Business meetings, but this functionality is coming in a future release.

(Looks like Confluence suffers from the same restriction as Jira, btu I am glad that Jira is useable now.)

Anyway, thanks for your input, Renjith!

Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2015

Update: Column titles are editable! I don't remember since which version exactly.

Lisa Rahder May 25, 2015

After close to 2 and 1/2 years later, I would hope that columns are editable by now... More importantly, I hope that Confluence has gone through the (minimal) development necessary to allow for true hierarchy in story construction, although it reads as though this were sadly not yet the case. I have since found that Trello is a great alternative to JIRA....

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

Click on an Epic, it shows only the stories under that Epic.

What do you mean by 'issues filter view', you meant Issue Navigator? If yes, that is not possible. The whole point of using GreenHopper is not to go back to Issue Navigator.

Lisa Rahder January 29, 2013

What I meant was Issues--> Favoite Filter (where I had created the closest thing I could to what I wanted to dispay, namely, Theme, Epic, User Story. Unfortunately, since Jira/GH is relatively "flat", or, has Epics and Stories as drop-down options of the same "level" of "Issue", this filter does not have any hierarchical relationship built-into the records. In other words, Stories are not programmatically associated with their corresponding Epic record.

My question was, hwo do I get a "view" or display from which I cann easily created a backlog or hundreds of stories under repsocetive epics and thems so that these are complete weeks before the weighing process/granualr sprint - task creation begins.

I think the answer is, you can't.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2013

Yes, you can't using Issue Navigator. You may use the structure plugin though. It supports GreenHopper links - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.structure

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Perfect, and good know that.

Suggest an answer