Fix-version no longer editable?

Dan Murphy August 13, 2012

We've been using fix-version to identify the target sprint in which a Jira issue should be fixed. Recently, this field has become un-editable by our users or simply no longer visible on Jira issue edit screens. What changed?

Google suggests that GreenHopper 5.10 (which I suppose we're using, as AOD customers) has switched to the "Sprint" field for this purpose, but I cannot find this field in any of our displays, either.

4 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Do you have "Resolve Issue" permission? You need this to change the fix Version.

If so, check if the field is on the screen and not hidden.

Dan Murphy August 14, 2012

Yes, all our developers have "resolve issue" permissions. We've been using Jira and GreenHopper from the AOD servers for several months now.

Setting/changing the Fix-Version in the Jira issue view used to work, and now it doesn't. I can still edit the Fix-Version from the Agile Planning board (which has also become harder to find recently).

We didn't change anything w.r.t. configurations of our projects or AOD apps. This seems to be the effect of an "upgrade" breaking our existing workflow based on prior AOD recommendations... ;-(

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

If you can still edit the Fix-Version from the Agile Planning board, you are probably missing it on the screens?

Correct, when I go to Jira and view an issue, Fix-Version is visible but uneditable and Sprint is not shown.

If I then select Edit, then select Configure Fields, select Display All, the Fix-Version field is not in the list of options, nor is Sprint.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

Did you look at the screen schemes and field configuration schemes?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

something like that ;)

OK, for those following along at home...

Select Administration, then go to the Issues tab and expand the Screens option.

Find your "default" screen, select Configure (not Edit) and use Add Field to put Fix-Version/s back in the default screen (even tho its displayed already). Hit Add and then navigate to an issue with a previously uneditable Fix-Version/s field -- voila!!

Thanks, Jobin.

Like # people like this
Ted Stresen-Reuter January 26, 2016

Thanks for the tips everyone. Unfortunately, even after following the detailed steps above, both Fix Versions and Affects Versions are still not editable for us. We see them on every issue, versions have been added in the admin, the default screens have been configured (by removing and then re-adding the fields similar to what is described above), but there does not seem to be any way to edit their values when looking at an issue.

I'm new at Jira, so, please be kind and detailed in your replies.

Thanks, Ted

Ted Stresen-Reuter January 26, 2016

Ha! Just fixed it myself!!

1. Go to Projects and click on the project you'd like to modify.
  2. Click Screens in the list on the left. In our case we are then looking at the "Default Issue Type Screen Scheme".
  3. Click the pencil icon on the far right of the screen name. In our case it took us to the screen titled "Configure Screen Scheme — Default Screen Scheme".
  4. On this screen we see a list of items. In our case there is only one item with the name "[company name]: Simple Issue Tracking Create Issue Screen".
  5. Click the first item (it is a link). You should see a list of fields and, if you are like us, you will notice that the Fix Versions and Affects Versions fields are not displayed.
  6. Add the missing fields to the list and save.

Now, I realize that I am probably modifying more than I need but in our case it's ok since we intend to use these fields everywhere. It would be very helpful if someone could explain to me why this approach worked while the steps indicated by @Dan Murphy did not (for us).

Thanks and good luck!

Ted

Like # people like this
Deleted user March 14, 2016

+1 for the method by @Ted Stresen-Reuter.

Jeremy Brooks April 28, 2016

None of the above resolutions worked for me, I can see that the fix version is included in the default screen config and it is visible in my workflow associated screen by transition. I can see the field but it is not editable in both transition view and in edit issue view.

Like Joris Vleminckx likes this
Jeremy Brooks April 28, 2016

Ok I solved it for me, I had to add the 'Administrators' user group into the 'Resolve Issues' permission as a associated project role. Weird, I just assumed that project admins would have permission to do all tasks. So basically I ended up with 2 project roles associated with the 'Resolve issue' permission, 1 for developers and 1 for administrators.

resolve-permissions.png

Like # people like this
Joris Vleminckx January 23, 2020

None of the above worked for me :-(

alexandru.pejity February 20, 2020

if on the  field Fix version you have only the option NONE
that means you have to create Releases, in order to have what to select for the Fix Version Field

regards

Alex

BarthélémyH May 28, 2020

The trick is that you need at least 1 Version for the field to be editable and allow to create extra versions on the fly.

4 votes
Andrew Nesterenko October 12, 2015

Please see this article https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=711361820

It might be useful as well  

Ankit Agarwal June 27, 2016

This was exactly what was needed.

Artem Tarashkevych July 16, 2018

It works for me as well! Thanks 

1 vote
C.J. Leth July 7, 2017

I found a fix for my weird version of this bug, too: One of my projects randomly required me to go directly to the Versions screen in the Project Settings and add content there before it would allow me to manage Versions in the ticket screens. Note that once I added a Version once, I am now able to create new versions from the ticket view as expected. So I just had to do this once to "unbreak" it.

In Detail

I manage multiple projects all using the default JIRA field configurations, screens, and schemes.

ONE of my seven projects had this issue — While looking at the Create or Edit screen, the Fix Version field was not editable and had a value of "None".  

I was able to fix it by visiting the administrator settings for the project and adding a random Fix Version to the Versions management area — Doing that enabled me to create new Fix Versions from the ticket screens as usual and add pre-existing Versions as expected. 

André Cloutier November 7, 2017

"Adding a random version" worked for me. Thanks!

The context: I moved a set of items to create a new project. That new project had no Versions set. I actually lost the value of fixVersion while transitioning issues from CLOSED to DONE.  I just wanted to set them back...

Like James Dirks likes this
0 votes
Dan Murphy November 30, 2012

The thread between Kuruvilla and myself contains a usable resolution.

Suggest an answer